Our Services Blood Sugar Test
Your body takes carbohydrates found in foods like grains and fruit and converts them into glucose. Glucose, a sugar, is one of the body’s main sources of energy. A blood sugar test measures the amount of glucose in a small sample of blood.
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can lead to seizures or a coma if left untreated. High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) can lead to ketoacidosis, a life-threatening condition that’s often a concern for those with Type 1 diabetes. Ketoacidosis occurs when your body starts using only fat for fuel. Hyperglycemia over a long period can increase your risk for neuropathy (nerve damage), along with heart, kidney and eye diseases.
Blood sugar testing is also an important part of diabetes care. It provides useful information that can help manage diabetes, such as:
- Monitoring the effect of diabetes medication on blood sugar levels
- Identifying blood sugar levels that are high or low
- Tracking your progress in reaching your overall treatment goals
- Learning how diet and exercise affect blood sugar levels
- Understanding how other factors, such as illness or stress, affect blood sugar levels
Lab services, such as a blood sugar test, gather information critical to correct diagnosis and the monitoring of conditions that can drastically affect your life. The lab work for this test is not performed in our office so there is a small fee.
Learn more about how EBO MD’s direct primary care can help you manage your diabetes.